Thoughts on Being Powerless

Note: This post was originally written in 2009

Somebody asked me earlier if I was sour-graping.

My answer was:
"If I was, at least I have the guts to get my sentiments heard or seen in a channel where the powerful will not be able to use their power and authority over me. While on the other hand... you and your colleagues, sour-grape every single day but without expressing it because of fear."
Powerless.

What does that mean?

Well, it might pertain to the poor, the homeless, the prisoners, the minority, the out-of-school, the malnourished, the sick, the jobless, etc.

Or, it might also describe those who are rich but abused, people who are being misguided by charismatic leaders, the mistreated and demoralized employees who have nowhere else to go and those who seek justice but can't find it anywhere.

One thing I've learned from being a youth leader, is that when you are truly determined and focused on doing something, and you really believe in it badly, nothing will ever stop you. Not age, height, gender or education.

Unless, you allowed it to.

So being powerless is not the doing of the powerful. It is our own doing.
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

We remain silenced because we choose to be silent.

We remain mistreated because we choose to be mistreated.

We remain to be powerless because we choose to be powerless.

So, I refused.

I refused to remain silent, I refused to be mistreated. I refused to be powerless.

I don't expect other people to understand or even emphatize with me and frankly I don't even care. This is what makes me an individual.
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comments