10 Albums That Helped Shaped My Taste in Music

If I am to describe my taste in music or my musical preferences, well I have to say that it's quite diverse. I love almost all kinds of music and I can't think of any genre that I don't really appreciate.

I have in my files a collection of music from different decades - 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2Ks up to the current billboard hit charts. I don't have a single favorite generation because there are always songs that I will fell in love with in each. My ears will make love to a Patti Page song as easily as the one coming from KYGO.

I was born during the Disco and Folk, Rock & Country era. Spent my childhood with Pop, New Wave and Metal songs and have matured towards Grunge, RNB, Rap and the hybrids.

Well if there's one decade that i can most identify with it's probably the 90s but my musical taste are not confined just there.

Here are 10 albums that had the biggest impact on me:

Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual (1983)

This was my very first cassette tape allbum - and I got it from a Pepsi promo. The songs in the album very much shaped 80s Pop and back then American Pop was either Cyndi Lauper, Madonna or Michael Jackson! I was more of a Cyndi Lauper.

Francis M - Meron Akong Ano (1993)


Back when rap was just starting in the Philippines, this Francis M album has made a strong impression on me as it merges rock and rap successfully. It quickly became an anthem to young Pinoys who are frustrated of the many growing pains of the post revolution Philippines like the "power crisis" of the Ramos administration.

Singles The Original Motion Picture Sundtrack (1992)

More than being a nice romantic film, the songs in the movie has encapsulated the new and growing trend in music and culture in those days and it's called grunge. Grunge fueled a revolution in OPM rock music and spawned a lot of Pinoy Rock and Alternative Bands that will rule the airwaves for more than a decade.

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

And speaking of grunge, here's the one that started it all! Nirvana - no intro and explanation needed! Kurt Cobain was and will always be the iconic figure of that generation.

Eraserheads - Sticker Happy (1997)

If there's one band in the Philippines that can be likened to the popularity of Nirvana, it's probably the Eraserheads. While their previous albums Ultraelectromagneticpop, Circus and Cutterpillow created most of their popular hits, Sticker Happy is probably their most matured one when it comes to musicality.

Also back in the 90s and up to Y2K, and being an active choir member of the Catholic Youth Organization and other Catholic religious youth groups, it is expected that I will be inclined to be influenced by religious music and there were 2 albums that have given me inspiration up until the time when I graduated from leading groups to teaching other leaders through formation seminars. 

The Best of Bukas Palad (1999) and Hangad (2000) - most of their songs I have sang during church service and have used in seminars and recollections that I've facilitated. Songs like Anima Christi, Take and Receive and Pagkakaibigan.


Back when I was working as a Multi Media Officer in Baclaran, designing church presentations and seminar module presentations, I was introduced to another inspiring album filled with beautiful new-age type of music and instrumentals - NARADA. Their collection ranges from the late 80s up to the early 2000. Narada Decade (1993) was my favorite album.
  
It's weird but I am also drawn to female pop rock bands/artists and their music. In the 90s I was into the music of Alanis Morissette, Bjork, The Cranberries, Sixpence None The Richer, Lisa Loeb, Garbage and others. In 2000 it was Avril Lavigne and Pink.

However two of the best pop rock female artists album that I can listen to over and over again are the ones from Paramore and Lenka.

Paramore - Brand New Eyes (2009) and Lenka (2008).     


So that's it for now, I am sure that I am going to discover more music that I will love in the future.   


Comments