Visita Iglesia 2014

The highlight of Lent in the Philippines happens during the Liturgical Paschal Triduum which starts in the evening of Maundy Thursday and ends on Easter Sunday.

I have been involved in Church activities since the 6th Grade after a classmate invited me to join the Savio Friends Club of Saint Raphael Parish in Pasay City.  In fact, you could say that I was practically raised inside the church and most of my fondest childhood and teenage memories are rooted inside the Church.

After Savio Friends Club (a Salesian youth organization with Saint Dominic Savio as Patron Saint and model), I joined the Knights of the Altar and started serving during liturgical celebrations as a Sakristan.  I also joined other church groups like the Junior Legion of Mary, Tarcisian Adorers, church choir groups and the Catholic Youth Organization.

Next to advent (Christmas), the season of Lent is the busiest in the calendar of activities of various church youth organization.  Visita Iglesia is one of the activities that we really look forward to during this time of the year.  The religious pilgrimage is not only a way for us to enrich our faith but also serves as a wonderful bonding activity for the members of the group.

I miss being involved in church activities.

Although I am not anymore actively connected with my former groups in the church, I have maintained the Visita Iglesia tradition together with my family and occasionally with friends.

Last week, my family and I went around 7 Churches in the city of Manila starting with the newly restored Manila Cathedral or the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception followed by the San Agustin Church in Intramuros.  We then went to five more Churches: Nuestra Senora De Guia (Ermita Church), Saint Vincent De Paul Parish (Adamson), Saint Mary Goretti Parish (Pope Pius XII Catholic Center), Saint Peter the Apostle Parish and the San Fernando De Dilao Parish in Paco.

VISITA IGLESIA 2014
Manila Cathedral
San Agustin
Nuestra Senora De Guia
Saint Vincent de Paul

Saint Peter, Saint Mary Goretti and San Fernando De Dilao
I have started documenting our Visita Iglesia experiences through my other blog RAINCHECK since 2011. To see where we've been in the past, check out the stories below:



Comments